Saturday, March 14, 2009

Dallas - EHDI Conference

So this may seem like a boring thing to blog about but... this last week I went to Dallas to help put on the Early Hearing Detection Intervention Conference. I have been doing conference planning for almost 3 years now and this has been one of the "neatest" ones I have been a part of.
In this picture below is the group in their plenary session, you will see two large screens which is displaying live captioning, and if you look close enough you will see two ASL interpreters. Each breakout room in the conference was also equipped with this...which I think, and everyone else a part of the conference thinks is so awesome!
I got to meet many people all across the world that come together for somewhat of a common cause...there is a bit of a contraversy among participants concerning cochlear implants, ASL, and hearing aides...which I never knew existed.
I was able to learn a little bit of ASL so I could somewhat communicate with the deaf participants, it was a great experience all around!
I feel so blessed to have the job I have. I get to meet so many different people that come together for a variety of causes. Anything from Gifted Children & Hearing Detection to Saving Aspen Trees & and Researching the Spring Runoff.

Below is the Exhibit Hall for the EHDI Conference...There were a lot of people!This is me and a co-worker in the hotel's showroom, it was such a cool looking room, you almost felt like you were in Las Vegas. This is where the cowboy poetry was held...one of the night activities. Not only was the conference a lot of fun, but the weather was very nice! This is me with some of our group enjoying the warm weather.

1 comment:

J.J. said...

How fun for you, looks like you had a lot of fun. Your job sounds fun also, lucky you to travel.